Sunday, May 30, 2010

Guest post from Wee Eamon

A Chara

A few words from the third person in the Zoë in Wonderland production (currently on tour).  I enjoy reading the blog too (although I normally get to hear about the latest post at the Proskauer water cooler) and I've promised Ems that I won't turn off too many of her well earned fan base. 

First, a few words about the star of the show.  She is funny, loving, caring and always a joy to be around.  Ems is wonderful, does an amazing job with our daughter and is a great mother. Also great to see her back to full strength.  Z's speed of progress never ceases to amaze me, but sometimes I wish it could slow down a tad.  ZoZo is pretty cool too, especially with those two razor sharp teeth and her contagious laugh (wonder who she got that from!?). 

What's in a Name?

We spent months thinking of a name for our bundle of joy, especially after Rex, such a hit with both sets of grandparents, wasn't going to work this time around.  We both wanted a name that was easy to say (Eamon, or "eemon" is a nightmare in USA; folks seem to prefer that I were called Devlin], spell and that couldn't be shortened.  Despite that we ended up shortening her name, by adding a letter - how Irish is that?  Z just ticked over six months and already has a bunch of names, sometimes even I get confused - Zoe (official documentation), ZoZo (everyday use), ZeeZee (rare, fitting in State-side), Bebe Zoe (playtime), Miss Devlin (naughty) and Zofia (very naughty).

Land of Opportunity


To date Boston has been kind to us; it really is an adventure for this wee family.  We are very lucky to have been given this opportunity and one that is proving most enriching.  Where else can you do 250+ billable hours in a single a month and still feel you're on vacation?  It would even be better when that most European of ideas, namely the "weekend", catches on here.
Ems has been super at getting out and about meeting the Bostonians, making buddies, joining baby groups and consuming a sh#t load of cowffeee.   America really does run on Dunkin.


Boston, at the Athens of the U.S., has a lot going for it; clean air, ahigh standard of living, lots to see but most importantly I genuinely think Yanks, more often than not, get out of bed the right side each day.  I like their sunny disposition and their time for children.

Sport is a massive part of society here and in a nice way - it is not divisive like it is in certain countries - all types can, with ease, follow the major league sports here. The Boston Celtics just got into the NBA final, where they meet those West Coast dossers, the LA Lakers.  Some of my work colleagues, after I managed to convince my boss that spending $2K on getting us a corporate box would enhance team morale, went to a recent C's playoff game.  I spent years looking forward to watching a live NBA game.  Pity I picked the game that led to the C's worst ever defeat in a playoff game.  I'm now officially banned for ever again attending the Garden.
And there is baseball. Lucy, Holly and I went to the Red Sox game last night and had a blast. The Sox won (we think) in the tenth inning. I am happy to report that, following their post-game exuberances, neither Lucy nor Holly were charged and were released earlier this morning.

In short Boston is a nice place to live and leaves us with some thinking.


Eamon's Sightseeing Album

No comments:

Post a Comment