Monday, July 12, 2010

Baby on Main St

Poor Zoë has been cutting a big front tooth these last few days.  She's been cranky and restless, and, even worse, throwing up a bit after every meal (including prune right down my new top - nice!).  To distract her from her misery we took her out and about this weekend. 


On Saturday we joined Helen and Bill (and the beautiful baby Eve!) for lunch across the Charles in the People's Republic of Cambridge at The Cellar.  It was very delicious and the perfect cure for the hangovers Helen and I were suffering as a result of a heavy evening on the maragritas the night before.  Who knew the truffle fries would be so YUMMY?  Instead of pudding, however, we got quite the most incredible downpour I have seen since those crazy days in March when Storrow Drive went from beltway to lake in about 5 minutes flat.  Poor Bill had to run home in the rain and reported that the standing water was up to his ankles on the corner of their street!

Happily Sunday was sunnier and we took the train to Concord.  I wish we had known about the MBTA Commuter Rail service running out of North Station before now.  Not only is North Station a 5 minute walk from our flat, but the trains go to a host of lovely little towns north and west of Boston, including along the North Shore.  The trains are cheap, on time, clean and spacious.  Mind you, I guess if you travelled very rarely on the Thameslink and off peak you may well come away thinking the same thing. Well, apart from it not being very clean.  And maybe it's not so cheap either.  Although I understand it sometimes does run on time.  If you're lucky. 



Enough.  Concord, or "Conkerd" as it is pronounced in the local dialect, is very famous for its role in the Revolutionary War and for the various depressing 19th century writers that made the town their home.  It is an extremely attractive place, so quite why they were all so gloomy I have no idea. 




We had some lunch and strolled around the town.  I was hobbling rather then strolling as I had managed to  trip over Princess Zozo's bouncy chair earlier in the day and my toe was beginning to turn a nice shade of purple. So we hopped/hobbled back onto the train and home - me for some Advil and a pack of frozen peas on my foot, Zoë for some Infant Tylenol and her teddy bear teether.  Oh dear, I don't think either of us is going to be on top form for our first baby swimming lesson today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment